We have a new build for PCs releasing today to Zet Universe Insiders - Build 5722.3693. As I mentioned with the blog post on the product's roadmap, we are working hard to enable support for building connectors to the 3rd party data sources like FTP, SharePoint Document Libraries, and more. We've heard you loud and clear; you told us you wanted to use local folders in addition to Dropbox, and so... Right!
Like the 5708.446, this build is BIG for us, as in it we are bringing you the second data source you can use with Zet Universe to connect to. This data source is all about your local folders, so from here and onwards you'll be able to use your local folders to organize your Zet Universe data, in addition to Dropbox. Obviously, you won't get things like "unread" property that could be automatically set for Dropbox files changed by other users, but, hey, that's the part of the deal, right?
- If you are new to the Zet Universe Insider Program and haven't installed Zet Universe, yet, please visit the Set Up Your PC webpage to download the latest build's installer.
- Otherwise, as usual, the newest build is available via the magic of Zet Universe Update system, powered by Squirrel for Windows. To get it, you can go to Settings --> Update, and click on "Check Now" button to get it now.
- Total download might range from a few hundred kilobytes up to 10MB, depending on the number of updates you've applied already to your copy of the Zet Universe Insider Preview.
- Once the build is downloaded, Zet Universe will begin the installation. Once it will finish, it will ask you to restart the app.
NEW DATA SOURCE!
- You want to organize local archives of your existing projects
- You want to learn something new and you use only one computer both at work and at home (think laptop)
- You work with large sizes of files and you don't want to waste precious cloud storage space.
All together, these discoveries helped us to pick local folders as the example of the custom data source provider.
Local folders start with your desktop, and from there you can go to either your user profile, or to your computer and navigate across your fixed and removable disk drives (think MicroSD cards).
- The core idea behind Zet Universe is to help you to organize and keep track of your project data, so adding an entire disk drive, in many ways, is irrelevant to the product's mission,
- The debug bits we provide you with are not currently optimized for folders with big number of items; we will, however, increase the supported number of total items per folder and per project, as we continue working on the product.
For now, though, Zet Universe will alert you if you'll try to add a folder with more than 100 and 500 items, respectively, and will not allow you to add a folder with more than 1000 items. Zet Universe won't allow you adding the entire disk drive.
Another limitation is based on the current nature of the local folders app implementation. Although it is technically possible to allow you tracking network folders, current implementation might lead to serious lags in the user interface; thus, with this release, you won't be able to use your network drives or network locations as folders for your project spaces.
We will continue working on better support for remote folders, and we'll either provide support for them by improving this local folders app, or by adding custom Network Folders apps (which will show up in All Accounts pane).
HERE IS WHAT'S NEW OR FIXED IN THIS BUILD
Create New Project dialog: text box used to enter the new project's name is now focused by default, and you no longer have to manually click on it to start typing the new project's name.
Item Properties dialog: we renamed "application" to "account" in the list of all properties to align with the system-wide changes brought along with the multiple accounts support introduced in the last build.
SOME KNOWN ISSUES
- You can't drop items from other project spaces by using search results... Just yet. Instead, you'll get an error message.
- Zet Universe still doesn't re-connect after waking up if it had no internet connection before the computer went to hibernation.
- There is no UI to change the default file store when multiple file store data sources are added to the project space. Zet Universe will use the first added data source to save files you've added to the project space.
- Logging doesn't work in this build.